This blog is about how to make tater tot casserole.
(This post may contain commissionable affiliate links. Please read full disclosure).
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy-to-make casserole, look no further than tater tot casserole! This dish is packed with flavor and has a subtle difference from other casseroles that take it to the next level! Not to mention, it’s a great way to use up any leftover tater tots you might have.
This casserole dish is the perfect comfort food for a cold fall or winter night. It features all the classic ingredients in a casserole that you love, like meat, veggies, potatoes, canned soup, and a cheesy topping that’s delectable. Plus, it’s super easy to make so you can have breakfast, brunch, or even dinner on the table in no time.
Here’s everything you need to know about making this classic comfort food.
Best Tater Tot Casserole
The first thing you’ll need for this recipe is, of course, tater tots! You can use any type of tater tot, but I recommend using the classic style for this dish. Once you’ve gathered your tater tots, it’s time to start prepping the rest of the ingredients.
Tater tot casserole is a favorite meal for many families because it is so functional to make as it only requires to be made in one pan.
You can easily feed a large family with just one 9 x 13-inch pan of tater tot casserole. This dish is so versatile and filling, it’s sure to be a hit at any gathering!
Many times, you’ll see this type of this meal listed as a ‘hotdish’ A hotdish tends to be an affordable meal that is made from multiple ingredients layered on top of one another.
Usually, the meat goes first, secondly the soup and then a type of starch (this case it’s tater tots).
Though, get ready because this recipe is a tad bit different than other layered hotdishes or casseroles!
After some trial and error, I’ve finally mastered the art of making a flavorful casserole with this unique method. It’s cooked to perfection and the way I layer it yields the BEST quality, presentation, and overall taste, I know you’ll love too!
Here’s my foolproof method for ensuring a delicious dish every time.
Easy Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
Yields: 8 Servings
- Package of Tater Tots (You can use regular potato tater tots, or sweet potato tater tots).
- Lean Ground Beef
- White Onion
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Garlic Powder
- Can of sweet corn
- Can of peas or green beans
- Can of Cheddar Cheese soup
- Can of Cream of Mushroom soup or Cream of Chicken soup
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Start by preheating oven to 350°F degrees. Prep a 9 x 13 in (or a 9 x12 inch) baking dish and spray the dish with Pam or any other non-stick cooking spray.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with some tater tots.
- Second, brown the ground beef in a skillet. Add in Worcestershire sauce garlic powder, diced onion, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook ground beef until no pink is left. If you notice there’s too much grease, you can drain grease from the ground beef if it is necessary.
- Combine the beef mixture you just cooked in a skillet with sour cream, cans of soup, peas or green beans, corn, and 1 cup of shredded cheese. Mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.
- In your prepared baking dish, add all ingredients. Add the ground beef mixture and spread out evenly in the dish.
- Add tater tots to the top of the mixture and bake for about 50 minutes total. Make sure the tater tots do not burn – they should be a golden brown color.
- Take out the casserole at 50 minutes and add the other half of the shredded cheese to the top. Put the casserole back in the oven for an additional 5 more minutes or until the cheese on top is gooey and melted to perfection.
The first thing I do when making this cheesy tater tot casserole is to cook the ground beef in a skillet. Whenever I’m cooking ground beef, I like to start by adding some classic seasonings and diced onion to give the beef some added richness.
If there’s a lot of grease in the skillet, I like to drain it out before moving on to the next step. This way, my mixture doesn’t become too greasy.
Since I like to change it up with this specific casserole, I then mix the cooked ground beef together with two cans of soup, veggies, sour cream, and cheddar cheese (this is the exact cheddar cheese I use). This way, the flavors meld seamlessly together.
If you’ve never made a casserole like this before – adding soup to the mixture is normal per most casseroles.
It sounds like it wouldn’t turn out right by adding soup, but just trust the process here!
I find that the best blend of soups for a tater tot casserole is by using 1 can of cheddar cheese soup and 1 can of cream of chicken soup. However, you can use another creamy soup like cream of mushroom if you prefer.
Here’s a super quick breakdown of all my steps: I start by browning the ground beef in a skillet as stated above. Then, I spread the beef mixture that includes diced onions, Worcestershire Sauce, and spices with my other creamy ingredients into a baking dish that has some tater tots on the bottom. Finally, I top the mixture with an even layer of tater tots and let bake in the oven.
After 50 mins, I take out the casserole, add the other half of the cheese on top and let bake for 5 more minutes to melt the cheese on top. Walla!
Tater Tot Casserole with Green Beans
If you want an easy way to get your daily veggies in and not compromise taste, then this dish is ideal for using up any vegetables you have on hand or in the back of the fridge.
For me, I like to use canned peas or green beans.
Though, feel free to simply substitute your family’s favorite vegetables here. You can add broccoli, zucchini, squash, collared greens, etc. The best part about this dish is that it’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters and you’ll rarely taste the vegetables with all the other ingredients. Due to this fact, it’s popular amongst kids!
Now, it’s time to get cheesy. I think sharp cheddar cheese tastes fantastic with this casserole! You can also experiment with other types of cheese like parmesan cheese, asiago, feta, Colby jack, and swiss.
Just mix and match until you find the combination that suits your tastes.
-How Long to Cook Tater Tot Casserole?
The best temperature to cook your tater tot casserole is at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. This lower temperature will help the casserole cook more slowly and evenly throughout. So, resist the temptation to crank up the heat here. For that reason, you do have to cook it for a little longer (50 mins).
It’s totally worth the wait though!
More Tater Tot Recipes:
- Chicken ‘Tot’ Pie
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Tater Tot Poutine
- Tater Tot Waffles
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
Other Casserole Recipes to Enjoy:
- Chicken Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- The Best Turkey Casserole
- Jalapeño Pepper Casserole Recipe
- Mashed Potato Casserole with Crispy Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
Note: Nutritional Info for this recipe is an estimate per serving.
This blog was about how to make tater tot casserole.