Dirty Rice recipe is the perfect meal for busy weeknights! Made with ground beef, white rice, celery, onion, and garlic, this dish is full of flavor, easy to make, and customizable. Plus, it’s a great way to use up leftover rice that otherwise would go to waste.
This blog is about how to make dirty rice.
(This post may contain commissionable affiliate links. Please read full disclosure).
My Cajun Dirty Rice recipe is a versatile meal that can make any boring weeknight dish an A+ with its rich, aromatic, and filling components. Dirty rice is typically filled with ground beef and or sausage, Cajun spices, beef stock, onion, celery, and your favorite seasonal vegetables.
This savory southern-style dish is ideal for a quick weeknight meal or using leftovers for Sunday night meal prep. Another thing to mention is that this recipe is a crowd favorite at holidays or potlucks as a side dish or even as a one-pan main course. It’s truly a special meal no matter the occasion.
Try serving this dish as a simple side the first time you make it. It pairs exceptionally well with any main course that’s chicken.
For instance, I’ve had it with oven-baked chicken breasts and a side of mashed potatoes. I made this for my family a while and it was a total hit so I definitely recommend pairing it with something of the like.
If you want to make this recipe in its true Southern style form, try using it as stuffing for turkey or chicken instead of regular stuffing around the holidays.
Also, this recipe tastes delicious stuffed into spicy jalapeños or oven-roasted bell peppers.
Perfect this southern-inspired meal with a serving of some warm homemade jiffy cornbread and of course, refreshing sweet tea.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
There are many reasons to love dirty rice. For one, it is a very flavorful dish – the perfect combination of savory and a little kick of spicy.
It’s super customizable with a list of ingredients to add or substitute.
This dish can showcase seasonal foods or become completely transformed from a more southern-style dish to a Midwest, northern, or southwest-infused meal. The options are endless here and there’s no wrong way to make it.
Not to mention, as one of the main ingredients is rice – this makes it very filling. It’s a great option for a hearty meal that’s budget-friendly and lasts a family, a couple, or just one person for days.
Additionally, dirty rice is relatively easy to make, so it is a great choice for a quick and painless dinner on a busy weeknight when you’ve done everything that day but remember to prep something for dinner.
DIRTY RICE RECIPE
- 1lb lean ground beef or (whichever protein you prefer)
- 3 ½ cups beef broth
- 1 diced bell pepper or a cup of other seasonal vegetables (i.e., broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes)
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic minced or 1 tbsp minced garlic from the jar
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1 ½ cups brown or white rice uncooked
- ½ tsp salt
- chopped green onion, cilantro, thyme, or parsley to garnish before serving
- Step 1: Start off with cooking the ground beef. Cook the beef in a large pan or pot over medium heat. Break the beef up with a spatula and cook for 4-5 minutes until brown.
- Step 2: Add diced onion, Cajun seasonings, flour, garlic, green pepper (or other veggies), celery, and salt. Stir until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3: Begin to add rice and beef broth. Bring the pan to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover with a lid while simmering for about 20 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Step 4: Once cooking is done, allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then mix with a fork to break up the rice and mix in all ingredients one last time before serving on a plate. Top off with some garnish like diced green onions, thyme, cilantro, or parsley before serving. Walla!
-What is Dirty Rice and What’s with the Name?
You might be wondering what Dirty rice is. Well, it’s a classic Creole recipe also known as (Louisiana Dirty Rice and or Rice Dressing) that has been a traditional Southern recipe for decades.
It’s made with brown rice or white rice and aromatic Cajun flavors. The “dirty” part of its name comes from the brown simmered down color that all the ingredients like the spices, ground beef, and vegetables make once mixed.
It sounds a bit weird – I know, but these elements pack a punch of flavor that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
-Does the recipe originally call for Chicken Livers?
Short answer – yes. This recipe in its most traditional format is made with chicken livers. I did not realize this until recently! This is because chicken livers add such a distinct, rich taste and consistency to meals – no wonder they can be used in this recipe.
Not to mention, the consistency and texture of the chicken livers help to hold all the other ingredients together. Though, I choose to make my recipe sans the chicken livers. This recipe can be made with a variety of protein substitutions.
OTHER RICE RECIPES TO ENJOY
- Easy Garlic Butter Rice
- Vegan Vegetable Rice Pilaf
- Lemon Herb Rice
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
- The Best Chicken Fried Rice
MORE SOUTHERN RECIPES
- Easy Salmon Patties
- Jiffy Cornbread
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Southern Banana Pudding
If you happen to make this recipe, please be sure to share photos, tips, tricks, and your own, and tag Style Like Shelby in your homemade variations!
As stated above, there’s no wrong way to make this recipe and there’s a variety of ways to use different foods in it. Also, be sure to serve it with love and enjoy!
This blog was about how to make a dirty rice recipe.